The Temple of Epicurion Apollo in Vasses of Figalleia is one of the most prominent and imposing of antiquity. It was dedicated by the Fighans to Apollo because it helped them overcome a plague epidemic. The temple stands at 1,130 meters in the center of the Peloponnese, on the mountains between Ilia, Arcadia and Messinia, 14 km south of Andritsaina and 11 km northeast of Perivolia. It is administratively owned by the Ochiali Municipality. The temple was erected in the second half of the 5th century BC. (420-410 BC) and is attributed to Iktino, the architect of Parthenon. This monument, one of the best survivors of classical antiquity, was the first in Greece declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986. A section of the church’s frieze was detached in 1814 and exhibited at the British Museum in London. The ancient traveler Pausanias, who visited him, considered him second, after Tegea, the temple of the Peloponnese “to the beauty and to the harmony of God”.
Video by: myVideoMedia